Friday, January 1, 2010

Items of Note in the January 4 Committee Agendas...

On January 4, we have our first committee meetings of 2010. That is less exciting than the action-packed agendas for our January meetings.

To put this post in context, last year we streamlined our committee structures to create three major committees, all of which meet on the same night. This has helped to focus discussions and vet issues before we cast our final votes at the monthly board meeting the following week. As we try to accomplish even more, however, this has meant some long meetings as we try to do the work that was formerly spread among 6 committees that met on different day.

So, a few items of note on the January 4 agendas (believe it or not, there is even more on the full agendas that are available on-line.). I will be writing separate entries about some of the more complex topics.


Planning and Development Committee 


Operational Support Committee 

Student Achievement and Performance Monitoring Committee 
 

1 comment:

barb said...

I was interested in looking at the Report on allocation of Title I resources, so I printed a few pages. There is considerable data in the tables accounting for the allocation, but I was suprised at the derth of policy and descriptive information in the cover memo.

For example, what can Title I resources be used for, which academic areas are allowable for expenditures, how did and does the District make its decisions about allocating Title I resources among the myriad of categories and opportunities, are revenues for Title I included in budget planning and if not, how are Title I staff resources and non-staff expenditures treated so unnecessary cuts are not made. These are a few of the questions that came to mind. I'm not sure how the School Board, or the community, is to get an understanding of the process for the allocation of these resources.

During the discussions of the Fine Arts Task Force, we inquired about Title I dollars being used for arts education, because the arts is an academic area that would qualify for these funds. We were told, there was not any money in Title I for this. Clearly, looking at the tables, you can see how the Title I resources are allocated. That was not the intent of our question. We wanted to know what was discussed and decided before resources were allocated.

For me, having the numbers alone is absolute necessary (and appreciated) but not sufficient to my understanding of how these resources are allocated, how their effectiveness (where appropriate) is evaluated, etc.